Meier and Frank Building (The Nines)
The Meier & Frank Building, built in three phases in 1908, 1914 and 1930 had fifteen stories and four basement levels. Occupying a full block in downtown Portland, the structure totals approximately 600,000 square feet in area. The facility has no on-site parking available.
PR&A was retained to act as the Owner’s Representative for the investor during the redevelopment process. The first five floors of the building were renovated for retail use and floors six and above for hotel use. Rehabilitation of the exterior facade was performed and included several alterations including a new hotel entry with new entry canopies, storefront awnings and storefront windows. The renovation of the upper floors for hotel use required infill at the upper floors, a skylight-covered light well at the center of the building, and a new restaurant and rooftop seating area. The hotel contains a total of 331 guestrooms including three suites and ten junior suites. The original agreement with Federated required that the Macy’s department store remain open throughout the redevelopment, although the significant construction delays for the retail portion of the work ad- versely impacted the construction schedule of the hotel, and it was decided that the store would close on December 30, 2006. The department store re-opened on October 25, 2007.